First of all I can’t believe it has been this long since i posted, it’s been a rough time. However, with that being said, Steph and I discovered the very best yellow cake recipe I have ever made. I am going to share it with you. I even have pics of the cake that she and I made. I pinned the recipe on pinterest from a site called “Bakerella” they have a lot of great recipes there. Of course we made our frosting lipstick pink but it could be any color. We are planning to take this recipe and do some different flavoring experiments and I will share those when we do them but here it is:
Moist Yellow Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (room temperature)
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
3 cups of sifted self-rising flour
1 cup of whole milk (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring ***This is KEY don’t skip it
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (2) 8 inch cake pans.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue to cream for about 7 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added.
- Add flour and milk (alternating to creamed mixture), beginning and ending with flour.
- Add vanilla and butter flavoring to mix; until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally into 2 cake pans.
- Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat onto counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles. This will help you have a more level cake.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes (depending on your oven) until done.
- Cool in pans for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove and immediately wrap each layer in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. ***Another key, had never done this before but it worked!!!
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Once cooled, you are ready to assemble your cake.
SUGAR SYRUP Recipe (I still have this in a pink spray bottle in my fridge it makes a LOT ** make this first so it can cool
- Combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to boil and boil for approximately 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Pour liquid into a spray bottle.
- Unwrap first layer and using a serrated knife, level off the top of your cake.
- Place layer onto your dish. Take a straw and poke holes into the layer. Using your spray bottle, spray top of layer several times; enough to give it a little moisture. Be careful – don’t add too much.
- Add a layer of frosting to your bottom layer. Repeat on second layer.
- Frost the sides.
Easy Buttercream Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1 1b. 10X powdered sugar
1-3 teaspoons milk, half and half or cream
- Using a mixer, cream softened butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Add sugar gradually, allowing butter and sugar to cream together before adding more.
- If you want your frosting a little creamier, add a teaspoon of milk at a time and beat on high until you get the right texture.
- Then, just use food or icing coloring to tint the frosting the color of your choice. We made ours pink as you can see in the picture.
This was more than enough for a 2-layer cake, I put it on very thick! It’s not an overwhelming frosting like at some bakeries, it is just right. of course all the butter doesn’t hurt
Try this and you won’t be sorry, its amazing, kind of time consuming but amazing result. I will post our next experiments asap. I think we are going to try and make it chocolate next time.